Pin and Share!
What’s the Angle?
If you want to write better, learn how to find an angle for your story.
The Inverted Pyramid of Journalism
- Most Newsworthy Information: Who? What? Where? When? Why?
- Key Details
Structuring an article around Journalism’s Inverted Pyramid captures the reader’s attention. The story’s angle keeps it! If the information is newsworthy, it will include at least on of the five key story elements.
Five Key Story Elements
- Timeliness: Immediate, current information and events capture attention.
- Proximity: Local information that affects the people in the community.
- Conflict: From debates to violence, controversy attracts eyes.
- Human Interest: When people do something important, others take notice.
- Relevance: People like information that helps them make decisions.
This context creates a story by pitting the subject against a problem know as The Narrative Arc.
The Narrative Arc
- Inciting Incident
- Rising Action
- Falling Action
Use this the next time you put together a story.